The 5 Legg's

Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Work first, then play

So... I need to explain the title. Here it goes.. Yesterday ( Memorial day) we got up and the work began. Derrick got right to work on weed whacking the yard, while I got the kids ready for the day. The garden boxes are ALL finished. (we had 3 from last year, but decided we wanted to expand) I mowed the yard while Derrick worked on the boxes, and the kids were put to work , cleaning out the cars, and hanging the laundry out to dry. They were also in listed to pull weeds and water the garden , help wash the cars and clean the downstairs. ( yes I know I am a slave driver. I even had Audra up and working) Anyway , we had told the kids that after all the work was finished we would pull out the slip and slide so they could play. This made Brooklyn and Porter VERY happy. So .. as we were washing the cars some of the neighborhood kids came over to "help" and you know how things go when you put friends together with water, and a hot day. So as the kids were forgetting that they were supposed to be helping , and just as I am starting to wonder why the heck I thought washing the cars was a good idea, I hear our sweet Brooklyn telling her friends.... " at our house, we work first, and then we play. After we wash the cars, we can have lots of fun on the slip and slide, but if we don't get to work, we wont get to play."

This is one of those moments when I think " we aren't doing such a bad job as parents. A little pat on the back moment for Mom and Dad.

Anyway... we had been hard at work, crazy busy, but in a good way. I had the chance to feed a BUNCH of missionaries . I love doing it. The spirit is so strong around those missionaries you can almost taste it. I love to just stand and watch those men and women as they go to get their food, and think " that is someones son, or daughter" and I get to feed them this meal. Someday, I pray that someone will take care of my missionaries this way."

Working at the temple is GREAT !!!! I am learning so much, and it is something that I look forward to.

The kids school had the science/art fair last week and it was wonderful. The students did such a GREAT job with their science and art projects. We had a yard sale, as well a uniform swap and shop. Lots of people and lots of fun.

Audra did a GREAT job on her science project. She is working hard on her 2 R.A.D. solos, and is ready for summer ( she like her mother, loves to sleep in) Between the 2 (RAD and science) we have 2 of her young women's 10 hour projects finished!!!) She is exited about being in a parade for 4-H. She will get her braces on July 7th. I am so glad we will have the summer to get used to them.

Brooklyn is doing so well !! Her class grew different types of flowers and grass as their science project. As their art project they made the flowers they had gown out of tin foil, and tape, and painted them. She is getting ready for the dance recital, and is exited to take a clogging camp and swimming this summer.

Porter is also doing well. His class made models of famous land marks as the art projects. He made the Leaning tower of Pisa. He can tell you all about it. Lots of facts and figures. For their science project they made the solar system out of paper ma shay. I learned that paper ma shay does not taste good as I had to blow up one of the balls, 2 times) and that it also will dry your skin up, but it was worth it!! If I wasn't "a cool mom" before I certainly am now. According to the 1st graders. He is exited to get to take riding lessons with Audra this summer,as well as swimming.

Derrick has been working hard as always. APEX is fast approaching, and there is still so much to do. His work has been busy and stressful . We are so happy and blessed that he has a job. He is learning so much, and although it can be difficult, it is good.

We have been blessed with many opportunities to serve others in our community , and feel so blessed and happy that we are able to serve.
We hope all are well. Remember that you are loved, that we are thankful for you, and for all you do. Choose to be happy.

No comments:

Some of my Favorites


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones